Projects in 2015 included:
- Panhandle Community Ministry Hunger Program
- Meat purchases for local Soup Kitchens
- Partial renovations of building (east side of north addition) for the new on-site childcare and preschool: “Blessed Beginnings Early Childhood Center”
- TeamMates, Scotts Bluff County NE, Scholarship (memory of Peg Deines)
- Scholarships to WNCC Students participating our church’s music programs
- Partial funding for dry soup mix purchase for United Way Day of Caring. The dry soup mix packages are distributed to food pantries in Scotts Bluff County. We provided one team to help package the individual ingredients on package-distribution day. More than 50,000 packages of soup mix were completed and distributed on the Day of Caring.
- Assisted with funding for Delta Kappa Gamma Reading Project called Cradle Catchers Program. This sorority in partnership with Regional West Medical Center (RWMC) provides a “Read to Baby” kit to each mother of a child born at RWMC. Each kit includes a wooden book, library pass (if redeemed results in small gift and additional info from library), written pamphlet about the importance of ready to a child. The information includes how a child’s brain develops and how reading early helps that development. The cost of each kit is $5. Approximately 875 kits are given annually.
- Scholarships for First Presbyterian Church congregation members going to a camp at Highlands Presbyterian Camp and Retreat Center in Allenspark, Colorado.
See the Regional Mission page for more about Highlands.
News from 2016:
We hosted Mission Sunday in April 2016 including the worship service and followed by brunch with a free will offering. Money received for general mission account will be used to help fund local and/or regional missions. This fall we will consider missions for a specific fund-raising focus.
In May we gave a donation to help Dustin and Sarah Amack with unexpected personal travel needs for their Summit Christian College internship to North Africa. While in the refugee camp of a North African country this summer, Dustin and Sarah will meet with the mostly Muslim refugees introducing Jesus Christ and the Bible to them and help them with other issues of being a refugee.